multiple classes with the same name, namespaces

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri May 26 08:31:07 UTC 2006

Hi Ralph--

 > I'm just getting into Spoon (hmm, I'm just learning to use Spoon, I'm
 > getting stirred up with Spoon, ... there ought to be a good line
 > here)...

	Yeah, I like "getting a handle on Spoon". :)

	Spoon currently still has the old system dictionary, but I'd like to
remove it. I think we should just rewrite users of "Smalltalk at:"
(probably in some automated fashion, both in situ and during method
transfer). Instead of a system dictionary, I'd rather have some class
take responsibility for each former non-class "global" variable, and use
messages for access. Or just use shared pools for such variables. (Heh,
shared pools is another topic that gets some people riled up. :)

	The classes we can put in some cache collection that is known to the
compiler, but it need not be keyed. Then each class has complete
responsibility for its name, and we needn't worry about other objects
having out-of-sync notions of any class names.

	I don't think we need class or module namespaces in Spoon.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist