[ANN] Towards a new File In / File Out format

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Mon May 29 11:58:29 UTC 2006

Le 29 mai 06, à 12:33, Ralph Johnson a écrit :

> I have throught that an XML form would be good so that search engines
> would turn the entire internet into a single searchable repository.
> VisualWorks uses XML for input/output but it isn't a good format.  I
> recall that another version of Smalltalk has a better version, but I
> don't remember which one.

But, XML is hardly readable/editable by humans. I think we should have
both XML and non-XML formats. The first for machines and the second for
humans.

> If you are primarily interested in publishing code in papers, you
> ought to produce rtf or LaTex or something similar, and not worry
> about filing it in.

No, this is not my primary goal. But, I wanted to have the equivalent
of MyClass>>#myMethod for providing method definitions. So, I added :

MyClass<<#(myMethod
  "methodBody")

> One thing to worry about with treating an entire source file as a
> single Smalltalk expression is that the compiler has a limit on the
> number of literatls.  I don't know what it is, but that will limit the
> number of methods you can have in a file.

No, I don't want to have the entire file as a single expression, but a
sequence of expressions that will be parsed and evaluated successively.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org