here is a plan!

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Nov 4 12:26:53 UTC 2006

Hi Jecel,

Jecel Assumpcao Jr escribió:

> One thing that would be interesting if I had more time would be for me
> to compare the various GUIs for Squeak as well as a few related to this.
> Perhaps this will be possible next week. I saw two nice MVC links in the
> del.ici.us section of Planet Smalltalk today:
>
> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver/themes/mvc/mvc-index.html
> http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/smarch/st-docs/mvc.html
>
> And I would suggest that anyone interested in understanding what Morphic
> is all about watch the ARK movie (the same guy who wrote the Alternate
> Reality Kit in Smalltalk-80 was one of the creators of Self and then one
> of the creators of Morphic 1.0):
>
> http://www.open-video.org/details.php?videoid=8050

Wow. I hadn't seen it before. After watching it, I watched again the
self video. Now I see the linage from Smalltalk-80's MVC -> ARK ->
Self/Morphic1 -> Morphic2 -> Etoys. I'm adquiring insight. I'll try to
put my project in proper perspective. Thank you!

BTW, the machine shown, is it a Dorado?
> Another GUI that was developed for Squeak at Disney was PenSprites, but
> all we have about that is a paper from OOPSLA 2003. John Maloney (the
> other Morphic 1.0 creator, and the main Morphic 2.0 creator) has come up
> with a different GUI for Squeak as part of his Scratch project. The
> sources for that aren't available, so I can't compare it with Morphic.
>
> -- Jecel

Yes, I'd love to know more about Scratch!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich