[ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 49

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Tue Nov 7 09:03:35 UTC 2006

Hi Damien,

on Tue, 07 Nov 2006 08:21:11 +0100, you wrote:
> Klaus D. Witzel a écrit :
>> would it be possible to base the Squeak-dev image on Pavel's KernelImage
>> - http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/98
>
> Hi Klaus,
>
> why would it be interesting to start from a KernelImage ?

Size, complexity, proof of concept, Edgar's suggestion for Ladrillos,
feedback on dependencies (for example, package AST depends on class
TestCase; package DynamicProtocols depends on classes
OBMethodCategoryNode, OBCodeBrowser, OBClassNode).

> What would be the difference ? (I really don't know because I never
> tried Pavel's image).

For building the Squeak-dev image, the main difference is (I hope so) not
every loader is already in the image.

> If it interesting, how can I do it ? Currently, my script has a
> collection of packages (from squeakmap and monticello) and install them
> in order. You may want to try it yourself and tell me if you succeed

I did (using DEVSqueakDevImage default): the only package which I couldn't
find on SqueakSource is MemoryUsage. The other two packages which
currently are loaded from SqMap (which are also on SqueakSource) are
RefactoringEngine and RoelTyper (ignored commented
AutomaticMethodCategorizer).

> (load
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers/ImageForDevelopers-dc.49.mcz).

Sure, I'm using Monticello in Pavel's Squeak3.9g-7061-basicMorphic.image
KernelImage :)

> Thank you for your interest

I tried applying DEVSqueakDevImage to Pavel's
Squeak3.9g-7061-basicMorphic.image. In #squeakDevImageConfiguration I
replaced the references to SqMap by corresponding references to SqSource,
commented MemoryUsage and spent
  addSqueakSourcePackage: 'SUnit' directory: 'KernelImage';
 from Pavel's KernelImage package in front of all others (and made
references to SMSqueakMap conditional).

But I have as yet not resolved DynamicProtocols dependencies on the
mentioned OB* classes. One should expect them to be loaded with package
OmniBrowser but it didn't do so :(

What's the problem with OBMethodCategoryNode, OBCodeBrowser, OBClassNode,
is there a package missing?

/Klaus