Poking at Sophie

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 7 19:47:04 UTC 2006

Ralph asked me why couldn't someone write a converter to convert older
books.
In fact one of the goals of the project is to address the issue of carrying
forward the book storage over the course of 100 years.
Thus some care has been taken to serialize books out as XML, and enable the
usage of different XML readers/definitions when
reading/writing a book. So this is not a issue of poorly designed storage
representation, rather it's a manpower issue, where we (the sophie team)
does not have the time needed to create a converter, which wouldn't stop
someone in the community from doing it.