[ANN] basic Morphic package for the KernelImage

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 7 23:49:06 UTC 2006

The Sophie team lately had a bit of fun with this, you see we used
CPlatform to resolve which platform the image is on at startup time
then of course there is platform specific code that runs, say to find
out the directory structure (ie where is the temp directory), what
the specialized quicktime FFI is by platform, etc.  Perhaps a call
like CPlatform current tempDirectoryURL

Now when CPlatform runs *after* PasteUpMorph then you find that
PasteUpMorph triggers a draw event which perculates down and say then
tries to load the freetype fonts for the macintosh, when it fact the
image is starting up on a windows machine, because of course
CPlatform startup hasn't run yet and that saved image on the mac is
rather confused when started on windows.

Thus when using addToStartUpList: beware of what you wish for.

On 7-Nov-06, at 2:59 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Andreas Raab puso en su mail :
>
>> Yes. To find out who sends it I did a little hack which would dump
>> the
>> call stack to a file when calling World>>install and it turns out
>> we're
>> calling it three times in a regular startup sequence:
>> 1) Via AutoStart>>checkForUpdates
>> 2) Via AutoStart>>checkForPluginUpdates
>> 3) Via ProjectLauncher>>startUp.
>> The Right Thing (tm) to do is probably to add PasteUpMorph to the
>> startup list and have it handle the initialization of Morphic.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    - Andreas
>
> Smalltalk addToStartUpList: PasteUpMorph  cure the trouble.
> Forget my previous mail
>
> Edgar

> Correo Yahoo!
> ¡Abrí tu cuenta ya! - http://correo.yahoo.com.ar