Squeak periodic crash

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Nov 8 03:52:26 UTC 2006

squeakdev at reider.net wrote:
> I can't begin to fathom what event could possibly be happening in the
> VM that would be tied to this particular time interval, or anything
> special about the value itself.  (I imagine that GC is the code that's
> running when it crashes). Any thoughts?

The main thought is that you shouldn't start pointing fingers unless you
have at least _some_ evidence supporting your claims. It's easy to claim
that it's caused by GC, or the network subsystem, or the timer code, or
the OS signal handling or any number of random reasons if you have no
idea what is going on. Things to do:
- Tell us more about what you are actually running. Is this is a stock
3.7 VM and image? If not what packages have you loaded? Do you have
specific dependencies on external (non-squeak) packages? Dependencies on
external C libraries that could cause memory corruption?
- Run the VM under gdb and let it crash. Try to investigate from there,
in particular try to print the call stacks (don't remember what the
magic invocation is). The VM implements both, printCallStack() to print
the active call stack and printAllStacks() which prints all the call
stacks (but I'm not sure which of those is supported in 3.7).

Cheers,
   - Andreas