Squeak SDL (was: Re: Games with Squeak)

Mikael Kindborg mikael.kindborg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 23:01:58 UTC 2006

On 11/9/06, Mikael Kindborg <mikael.kindborg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a bit concerned about how event input should be handled. Since
> SDL now runs in its own window, SDL events have to be handled.
> wxSqueak has a special virtual machine as I understand it, would be
> good if this could be avoided with SDL. From my point of view, a good
> solution would be to make SDL render inside a Squeak window, and use
> standard Squeak input handling. Like how OpenGL is used in Croquet
> (guess it works this way). Browsed the SDL-docs quickly but did not
> find any functions for making SDL render into an application supplied
> window, but even if this is not supported, it should not be that hard
> to add. What are your thoughts about this Diego?

Thought a bit more about this, and it should be possible to use e.g.
SDL_PollEvent to read SDL events from Squeak. Then no need to modfy
the VM.

Still, rendering to a Squeak window would be nice. Problem I guess is
that SDL abstracts away the window system, so this might take some
work to do, and possibly be platform dependent.

Best, Micke