The Weekly Juan #4: "Smalltalk, Direct Manipulation and End User Programming"

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Nov 10 20:18:41 UTC 2006

Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> writes:
> Juan Vuletich wrote on Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:55:22 -0300
> > Besides, code based development
> > (i.e. not relying on the assembly of objects in a certain image) eases
> > team work and version tracking.
>
> Here I must strongly disagree. [...] Unless you
> had seen it yourself it is hard for you imagine how much fun this was
> and how productive they were....

The two are not incompatible.  You can use exported code as the
authoritative version of the code, while using an object-rich image to
actually edit that code.

In fact, this is the *normal* way to develop in Smalltalk.  You can
always start in a fresh image if you want.  You simply load all the
code off the disk or out of your version control system.

-Lex