The Weekly Juan #4: "Smalltalk, Direct Manipulation and End User Programming"

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Nov 14 01:30:26 UTC 2006

Jecel Assumpcao Jr escribió:
> Juan Vuletich wrote on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:29:04 -0300
>
>>> http://squeak.pbwiki.com/interview
>>>

>> I don't agree with many of the ideas expressed there. But I don't want
>> to start a useless discussion. I'll just continue with Morphic ideas.
>> It's good to have options.
>>

> We can never have a perfect GUI, so options are certainly a very good
> thing. I am not sure discussing things we don't agree with is useless,
> however.

It seems I wasn't clear (again). It is not that I don't want to discuss
these items with you. What happens is that Andreas says strong and
polemic opnions. I actually started to write all the things I don't
agree with in that interview. But I don't think that would be polite.
Perhaps if Andreas asked for other's opinions on his words...
It is enough for me to say that Morphic is great for building
abstractions, allows separation of view and model (but does not enforce
it), and I don't see any need for a different architecture.
>> Sure. But this time I didn't want to. I don't like mixing facts with
>> opinions without making clear the difference. BTW, I'd like to know more
>> about Neo Smalltalk! Is it available for Windows or Linux?
>>

> I am developing the software and hardware together, so in theory it will
> only be available on my machine (but since it will be open source
> somebody could port it). I am using a simulator written in Squeak to
> debug this, The version on my site is from January but I'll post a new
> one as soon as I have something that is more usable. So it will run on
> PCs, but not in real time.
>

>>> [the future is open systems]
>>>

>> That's true too. But today, I work on a single Smalltalk environment,
>> and that's ok.
>>

> You work on a single environment until you want to share with someone
> using a different image. We are having more and more problems in this
> regard, though I agree we can live with them a while longer.

I work on a 10 person team, with VSE. We do as Lex said in other message
in this thread. The stuff each programmer publishes is change sets (code).
>>> [collaborating trainees using Self]
>>>

>> What you describe is really coll. But I used the wrong words. "Team
>> work" is not specific enough. I meant "merging the work of different
>> people into a single consistent construct". I also think that code
>> (thinking more on change sets or an Envy like system than CVS) helps
>> tracking versions and comparing them. I don't know of any such tools for
>> Self, but as you say, this doesn't mean they can't be done.
>>

> Since they were using the same image, their work was always instantly
> merged. But this is sometimes a problem and not a solution, so the Self
> group created the "Us" language which allowed multiple simultaneous
> viewpoints (similar to the old PIE system for Smalltalk-80, but a bit
> more dynamic).
>

>> I'd love to have some real experience with Self. But unfortunately I
>> don't see that happening any time soon.
>>

> Unfortunately Sun has just killed the project a second time. At least
> Macs are easier to find the Sparc machines.
>
> -- Jecel

Cheers,
Juan