Don't be nice if this big company sponsor Squeak ?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Tue Nov 14 11:51:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:47:04 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2006, at 10:36 , Michael Rueger wrote:
>> Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>> http://research.sun.com/projects/squawk/
>>> Any comments ?

Sure: very nice find :)

>> Wonder where this comes from ;-)
>> See the people page under the letter "I" :-)
>
> Actually I think this started way before Dan went to Sun.
>
> Sounds impressive though:
>
> "The static footprint of the core system (interpreter, a RAM garbage
> collector, an non-volatile memory garbage collector), compiled from C,
> is 25 kB on x86.  The minimum runtime footprint in RAM is 520 bytes for
> the Java heap and 532 bytes for native stack and data (on x86)."

Compare to www.superwaba.org (Open Source):

- SuperWaba.PRC 66 KB VM+GC (Palm platform, minus 7 KB launcher & icon)
- SWNatives.PRC 59 KB primitives (cross+plat.glue, minus 7 KB launcher &
icon)
- SuperWaba!.PDB 204 KB class files (cross)

plus a litte St app
(http://www.smalltalk.org/versions/LittleSmalltalk.html )

- thisSmalltalk!.PDB 56 KB (ported by me :)

The .PDB files have a dictionary section (all classes' full names) which
is redundant.

/Klaus