[Q] Scrollable cursor with PostgresV2 / current Glorp version for Squeak

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Tue Nov 14 20:05:40 UTC 2006

Franz Josef wrote:
> 1) Scrollable cursors
> I've fiddled with scrollable cursors using the current PostgresV2 libary
> for squeak. But I've found no code that implemented that feature. Is
> everybody always loading the whole result set or did I oversee
> something? Is there some high level code available that uses the cursor
> handling of PostgreSQL?

I don't remember ever trying to use the CURSOR feature,
but from reading, it should just work. So, I just tried
it by finding an example at:
     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-fetch.html
and modifying it slightly. In the code snippet below, "self"
refers to an already connected PGConnection I have in an
inspector. Then I ran doIt/inspectIt on the various lines.
The FETCH result was just what I expected - 5 more lines
of the result, each time I ran it.

self execute: 'BEGIN WORK'
self execute: 'DECLARE liahona SCROLL CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM
public.squeak_method'
self execute: 'FETCH FORWARD 5 FROM liahona'
self execute: 'FETCH PRIOR FROM liahona'
self execute: 'CLOSE liahona'
self execute: 'COMMIT WORK'

If that's not the feature you're looking for,
then please explain further. Also, you might
want to look at this thread from the Seaside
list:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-August/008518.html