OO Database question with FLASH drive

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Tue Nov 14 21:54:53 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of starting the next version of my autonomous
controller, which is going to be much more like a brain than anything I've
done before. I want to use an OO database to store persistent "memory" type
data, but the first version of this brain is going to run on a gumstix.

The gumstix uses a MMC FLASH card as the file system (under linux), so
there are issues with writing data to the drive many times (FLASH has write
limits). I haven't looked too closely at any of the OO databases that are
available for Squeak, but I need one that doesn't write to the file system
unless I explicitly tell it to commit a transaction.

This may end up being a non-issue, but I'd like to hear from the developers
or peope in the know if I need to be concerned.

Thanks,
Jon