Image versions- what do you use? What should I use?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Nov 15 00:38:26 UTC 2006

Aaron Reichow wrote:
> What am I missing out on if I'm using 3.2 or 3.4 and not 3.8 or 3.9?

Not much. 3.2 to 3.4 was mostly to get 3.3 (the failed modules) out the
middle. The main things you'd be missing out on would be (from my
completely subjective point of view):

3.6 - The basic version of this image is the smallest consistent image
in a looong time. To compare: the basic 3.6 image is about 8.5 MB; the
3.9 (basic?) image is 16 MB. Might make a good starting point just
because of that.

3.8 - Contains m17n support which is hard to add post-facto. If you need
support for other (non-latin) languages 3.8 is pretty much a must (3.8
is also the current base version that pretty much all of the major
projects -including Croquet, Tweak and Sophie- are based on for
precisely that reason).

3.9 - Contains traits which might be useful for you to maximize reuse in
order to gain some space savings. No idea how that trades with the
overheads added by traits support itself though.

Cheers,
   - Andreas