How I want Squeak Project Teams to be Visible

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Wed Nov 15 17:55:57 UTC 2006

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> Did you have anything in mind on how to
>> generate traffic to the site?
> - http://www.google.com/ads/
>
> This is a terrific bargain as long as people don't click.

You're looking for a snazzy http://people.squeakfoundation.org/, yeah?
Or maybe a site that presents the projects better than at 'people'?

Off the top of my head, there are a couple of free things  that can be done.
As you imply, the website needs to be engaging and full of info that
readers would yearn for, and come back for.  Each project (or maybe just
the entire site at first), could have an RSS feed associated with each
project that gives progress reports and basically introduces the
projects and how the application can be used. I'm a big believer in
feeds. The only issue is that authors have to be diligent in updating so
that Squeak stays fresh in the minds of the readers.

Once the website is up and saying great things about the projects, you
could contact diverse bloggers to promote this new site on their blog to
generate traffic. I suggest high profile bloggers that are outside the
scope of Squeak, but reach readers that would be interested in Squeak
and the projects.

Oh, another thing that could be done is to aggregate other Squeak blogs.
This adds weight and credibility to the site.

I'm sure there are lots of other free things to do (free: as in "not
counting the time to do all of this!")

brad