Resilient (was: The Weekly Juan #4: "Smalltalk, Direct Manipulation and End User Programming")

Francisco Garau fgarau at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 23:40:05 UTC 2006

Hi Lex,

>  http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/Resilient/Issues
>
> This claims, and I had heard, that its blocks cannot be returned or
> stored in the heap.  IMHO that is such a major limitation that it is
> hardly Smalltalk any longer.

That limitation was there from the begining. Lars Bak explained in ESUG 2003
that it made the implementation of the Smalltalk interpreter much simpler. I
specially liked the idea because it would make concrete type inference
possible on those systems. And one of his students followed that path

http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/resource/peter-ahe-thesis.pdf

In my opinion, without blocks Smalltalk would taste very differently. But I
must agree with Marcel Weiher when he says that Smalltalk is not a pure OO
language. Because of the blocks it can be characterized as hybrid, mixing
elements from OO and FP.

http://www.metaobject.com/papers/HOM-Presentation.pdf

Cheers,
Francisco