mac carbon VM 3.8.14b3 pending

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Nov 17 06:18:06 UTC 2006

I've posted a 3.8.14b3 Mac carbon VM to my ftp site and idisk for
testing.  Some notes are below, the big changes are for ppc, and
macIntel browser support (safari/firefix), headless support,
remapping of mouse buttons, and adding Exupery support for MacIntel.

http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html

Please let me know if there are issues.

PS Yes I know sound recording is broken somehow, I hope to explore
why at some point this weekend, although the unix code was swapped in
at 3.8.6b5 and no one noticed anything, assuming anyone does sound
recording anymore, and perhaps it's just a macintel issue, yet
another endian issue one can hope.

3.8.14b3 sqMacWIndowUnversial.c  Ensure window is created when non-
headless and not running under the browser
		typo in check prevent squeak from showing the window when running
standalone for 3.8.14b2.

		sqMacMain.c		Check processsor status at startup, if non-headless
and LSBackgroundOnly is true, then
						switch process to foreground.
		info.plist			rest LSBackgroundOnly to false, from true, to avoid
Dock display issue. People
						wanting true headless app need then to alter info.plist

		revert bitBlt>copyLoop changes, introduced drawing problems, look
at fixing later, or never as time permits

3.8.14b2 Fixes for browser support

3.8.14b1	New browser support on os-x mac/macintel for safari and
firefox.
		This logic now follows the example set by the unix plugin, where we
		run the VM headless and talk to the browser plugin stub via a two-
way pipe to
		enable fetching data via a URL, drawing the screen, and setting the
cursor.

		Thanks to Viewpoint Research for funding this effort.
		This VM had limited distribution.

		sqMacOpenGL.c			- remove BROWSERPLUGIN
		sqMacUnixFileInterface.c 	- needed include for sqUnixCharConv.h
		sqMacHostWindow.c		- remove BROWSERPLUGIN
		sqMacMain.c				- remove BROWSERPLUGIN, add browser pipe logic,
								rearrange startup to handle startup with out window for
browser support.
		sqMacMemory.c			- remove BROWSERPLUGIN
		sqMacTime.c				- remove BROWSERPLUGIN
		sqMacUIAppleEvents.c		- remove BROWSERPLUGIN
		sqMacUIEventsUniversal.c	- remove BROWSERPLUGIN, expose some
internals so new browser
								support code can call or access.
		sqMacUnixCommandLineInterface.c	- add headfull cmd for browser testing
		sqMacUnixExernalPrims.c	- remove BROWSERPLUGIN
		sqMacWIndowUnversial.c	- remove BROWSERPLUGIN, changes for browser
support,
								assume window is hidden which is different from being headless.
		sqNamedPrims.h			- remove BROWSERPLUGIN
		sqPlatformSpecific.h		- remove BROWSERPLUGIN, add URL_FETCH
		npSqueak					- Directory, add plugin for browser into source tree
		sqMacNSPLuginUILogic2.c	- new file to replace sqmacNSPluginUILogic.c
		sqMacNSPLuginUILogic2.h	- new file to replace sqmacNSPluginUILogic2.c

3.8.13.b4  Headless support
		sqMacMain.c
			headless, set background to false if not headless.
			alter uuid returned to signify which VM this is

		info.plist
		swap buttons to ensure cmd/opt of trackpad is right
		Add LSBackgroundOnly to yes i

		sqMacEventsUniversal.c
		headless support

		sqMacUnixCommandLineInterface.c
		headless parm -headless added

		sqMacWindowUniversal.c
		headless support

		platforms/Cross/plugins/ExuperyPLugin created

3.8.13.b4, b5, b6, b7
		Had limited distribution to test new button modification logic

3.8.13.b3
		bitBlt>copyLoop changes, normally it prefetchs the next byte for
barrel shifting 64 bits when copying from
		one form to another, and a dirty secret and old bug is that it
reads one word past the end of the Form
		when it processes the last word in the Form. However when you use
surfaces where the surface is
		allocated elsewhere not in object space and in fact say the
allocated form is 2MB and the vm memory
		system makes the frame past the 2MB range non-readable, why then
you die on a read protection failure.
		So alter the loop to consider if it's preload and the last line we
don't do the pre-fetch because that could
		cause a read failure.
3.8.13.b2
		Exupery support, via plugin and changes in the VM for Mac Intel,
use merged VMMaker-Exupery change set

3.8.13.b1
		Exupery support, via plugin and changes in the VM for Mac Intel.
		http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5672

===