Mondrian visualization of a Tweak ScriptEventTracer

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 13:55:12 UTC 2006

> I was very impressed with Tudor's demo of Mondrian on the last Berne
> Smalltalk day. Wanted to try the squeak port and found out that the
> original examples don't work due to changes of the interface in
> Squeak.
>
> Did you manage to find some documentation about the differences
> between the VW implementation and the Squeak port?

The Squeak "port" is not a port of the VisualWorks Mondrian per se. It
is basically a new implementation based on some of the ideas in
VisualWorks. The first Monticello commits actually contained all the
code of VisualWorks, however I quickly moved away from it as it was
easier to make it work by starting from scratch.

The differences between the implementation have been discussed in
length in the setools mailing list:

The key differences of the Squeak implementation are:
- no distinction of nodes and edges, everything is an element
- all the elements are hierarchically ordered in one tree
- layers and slices are introduced, to selectively apply layouts
- events are handled following the ideas of the w3c xml event model

Moreover in the latest version (not really useable yet):
- elements and styles build a composite with decorations
- transformations can be applied to elements

It would be certainly possible to make the interface conform the
interface in VisualWorks, however I prefer my own ;-) Most (or
probably all) the examples you saw were using Moose that is only
available in VisualWorks anyway. Therefor reusing the examples would
be also limited if the API was the same.

> If not, next time I give Mondrian a try, I hope I can dig up some
> exampled from there.

The class side of MOPaintings has a couple of examples.

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch