RISC42 [was: hardware for eToys]

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Fri Nov 17 16:15:51 UTC 2006

Hi Jecel --

>The designs that I *am* working on are optimized for Smalltalk. The
>current 16 bit version (http://www.merlintec.com:8080/Hardware/Oliver)
>essentially has a vast table of all class/selector combinations.

We called this the "giant hash table scheme" at PARC and thought
about using some (future) VM hardware to look up this more useful
virtual address for methods.

I'd love to hear how this works out (and what kinds of HW would do it
better (like a specially programmed FPGA, etc.).

Cheers,

Alan

---------