pthreads in squeak (was: OSProcessPlugin loads incorrectly in ...)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Nov 18 21:49:05 UTC 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 21:18 , David T. Lewis wrote:

> Right, in Squeak a Process is like a "green thread". However, the
> underlying
> VM may choose to use threads for its own purposes, and specific
> plugins may
> do so also even if the VM is single threaded.

Dave,

I'm currently puzzled by a thread / signal related problem on OLPC.
Ian recently added an ALSA sound module which we use. Also, I'm using
AsyncFile for reading commands from a pipe. Commands that I send
include disabling/enabling of sound. Now, the problem is, as soon as
I re-enable the sound via an async command, the VM is terminated by a
SIGIO. I suspect it related to ALSA which forks off a thread, because
in the main VM we actually have a handler for SIGIO. Ian thinks it
might have to do with the AsyncFile plugin. Unfortunately, I have no
idea how to debug this ... do you?

- Bert -