Groklaw article on Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Nov 18 23:43:08 UTC 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 0:27 , Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> I mentioned it here: http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/2006/11/15/
> vote/
>
> It is http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/ which is, I believe
> similar to,
> BSD http://developer.apple.com/opensource/ps-faq.html#anchor10 .

Squeak has actually been relicensed a second time, under the Apache
License 2.0:

This is because although APSL is free (even by FSF standards) it has
a patent clause that still prevents Linux distributors from using
APSL-licensed code. Which was a problem for OLPC, which is why Alan
Kay talked to Steve Jobs who agreed to relicense again. We got the
idea because a similar thing happened to Bonjour (was APSL first,
then Apache), so that is why we suggested the Apache license, since
Apple's lawyers were familiar with that.

- Bert -