mac carbon VM 3.8.14b3 pending

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Nov 20 11:30:43 UTC 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 8:37 , John M McIntosh wrote:

> I think in the plugin image it looks for the untrusted directory as
> the default?
> By default that should be.
> ~/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/My Squeak/
>
> If that directory is missing, then you'll get the
> '/foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus'

If the directory does not exist yet, it should be created on startup.
That's what I do on the X11 browser plugin - no need for a separate
per-user installation procedure. I also copy the image (although that
might have been not so brilliant an idea, making system-wide image
upgrades more difficult) and create the Desktop symlink. Anyway, we
would just have the VM and the plugin (in my install I renamed the VM
to Squeakland.app and included the image - starts to look like a
regular Mac application).

At the very least it should still report the supposedly right
directory even if it does not exist, yet. In that case it will be
created in FileDirectory>>startUp.

> and you say the plugin does not work yet?

Not yet, but maybe I got the paths wrong. The console log says:

2006-11-19 18:30:07.053 Squeak VM Opt[2648] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool
(): Object 0x4183d0 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool
in place - just leaking
Squeak Plugin: Image file not found: SqueakPlugin.image
Squeak Plugin: no failure URL:

Another problem is that the secure directory seems to be reported as
the image path. But in a regular install, Squeak would not be allowed
to write there. I'd prefer a directory structure similar to what the
X11 browser plugin uses (next to "My Squeak"). The secure directory
must be in a user-writable location.

- Bert -