mac carbon VM 3.8.14b3 pending

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Nov 20 15:29:49 UTC 2006

On 20-Nov-06, at 5:34 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2006, at 12:30 , Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> On Nov 20, 2006, at 8:37 , John M McIntosh wrote:
>>
>>> and you say the plugin does not work yet?
>>
>> Not yet, but maybe I got the paths wrong. The console log says:
>
> Yep, that was it. Plugin is running now. Yay! :)
>
> A problem is that the right mouse button is equivalent to ctrl-
> click (debug menu), the middle one is cmd-click (halo). Outside the
> plugin, right mouse button is cmd-click (halo), and middle one is
> option click (context menu).

Likely that is a bug, didn't test with multi button mice.

> Cmd-shortcuts do not work in plugin.

mmm, the browser grabs most cmd-key short cuts, it is after all the
controlling application.

> Shift-shortcuts (e.g., shift-arrow for select) does not work in
> plugin.
>
> Ctrl-shortcuts (e.g., ctrl-n for browsing class refs) insert
> invisible characters in plugin.

Likely that is a bug, let me see.

> On startup I get an error because Project squeakletDirectory tries
> to create
>
> 	/foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus/Squeaklets
>
> which inexplicably fails - the directory is actually there.

Not sure why that isn't the user's preference directory.

> Scrolling the plugin (mouse scroll wheell / two finger touchpad
> scroll) draws over the browser's bookmark bar and status bar.

Ya, need to clip things.

> Apart from those problems, I'd prefer to not see the Squeak VM icon
> in the task bar at all.

The problem is that if we hide the squeak VM, then when we show it
does not show the arrow in the dock. If you have the
VM in your dock then you have no indication it is running, this is a
bug in 10.4.  To test this change the VM info.plist
LSBackgroundOnly  to true.   Lastly I'll note if you truly hide the
application and the browser quits you end up with squeak
as a disconnected background task and I suspect many squeakland users
will not understand that it is still there and
running because for them it's invisible.

> - Bert -

===