mac carbon VM 3.8.14b3 pending

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 21 05:01:10 UTC 2006

On 20-Nov-06, at 3:30 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2006, at 8:37 , John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I think in the plugin image it looks for the untrusted directory
>> as the default?
>> By default that should be.
>> ~/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/My Squeak/
>>
>> If that directory is missing, then you'll get the
>> '/foobar/tooBar/forSqueak/bogus'
>
> If the directory does not exist yet, it should be created on
> startup. That's what I do on the X11 browser plugin - no need for a
> separate per-user installation procedure. I also copy the image
> (although that might have been not so brilliant an idea, making
> system-wide image upgrades more difficult) and create the Desktop
> symlink. Anyway, we would just have the VM and the plugin (in my
> install I renamed the VM to Squeakland.app and included the image -
> starts to look like a regular Mac application).

Well historically we've choosen to have the installation process
build the directories and copy the files about, versus having the
directory creation buried in the VM.  I could change that, but I'm
not sure we've an agreed upon behaviour that is somewhat (or not?)
cross platform?

On the mac we could have

/Application/SqueakLand/Squeak/Internet/Squeak.app which contains the
image, and plugins, that removes these older plugins and browser
interface files.

KedamaPlugin.bundle
LocalePlugin.bundle
mpeg3Plugin.bundle
NPSqueak.bundle
NPSqueakStubCFM
PrintJobPlugin.bundle
SqueakPlugin.image

also we delete the

/Application/SqueakLand/Squeak/Plugins directory.

and add in the  new Squeak.app and
SqueakBrowserPlugin.plugin which needs to be symbolic linked to the ~/
Library/Internet Plug-Ins/  folder
I'll note the /Application/SqueakLand/Squeak/Internet/ still contains
the prefs folder, and the Squeak.keys file.

Since all users share the application folder, we make the ~/Squeak/
Internet/My Squeak folder to contain user specific files.

===