SqueakMap Package Loader UI

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 22 14:16:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:37:15AM -0800, Brian Rice wrote:
> I fixed up some of the problems with the previous layout and buttons
> and added package-specific toolbar buttons:
> http://briantrice.com/Images/Squeak/SMLoader2.jpeg

This looks very nice to me. The buttons give a visual suggestion of
what can be done, which seems better for first time users who may
not know about hidden menus. A couple of suggestions:

On the filtered view (SMLoader1Filtered.jpeg), I don't see a visual
indication of the active filtering criteria. It would be good to
show this.

VMMakerTool and the Monticello browsers (and probably others that
I'm not thinking of) use a similar button-driven design, but the
button shapes and colors seem to vary. A consistent look would be
a good thing. Of the UIs that I can think of, I guess that consistency
between Monticello and SqueakMap would be the first priority, since
they both serve as package loaders from the point of view of user.

Nice work!

Dave