new PNGReadWriter with libpng support

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Nov 22 17:59:20 UTC 2006

Jens Lincke wrote:
> I made a PNGReadWriter2 and a PNGReadWriter2Plugin with libpng support
> for fast png reading, which is needed in Sophie and future versions of
> Plopp.
>
> Currently it can only read a png file and returns only 32bit forms.
>
> The repository for this is http://www.squeaksource.com/PNGReadWriter2

All I find in there is

PNGReadWriter2>>primPNGReadImageFromByteArray: source onForm: form

	self primitiveFailed

PNGReadWriter2>>primPNGReadInfoFromByteArray: source onForm: form

	self primitiveFailed

> and I build it with vmaker 3.8b6, squeak 3.9 and the squeak 3.9-8 unix
> sources.

I'm a little confused to see statements like here in the plugin:

    formPix isNil ifTrue: [formPix := 1].

this should be translated to isNil(formPix) and as far as I am aware
there is no such function available anywhere. Also, it seems as if there
are some serious hazards for decoding the PNG data - the code doesn't
set a limit for the source of input when decoding so I presume libpng
will simply fall over and break (possibly corrupting Squeak memory) if
you give it partial input?

Cheers,
   - Andreas