Clean way to process XML

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 07:16:27 UTC 2006

Hi Ramunas,

On 11/26/06, Ramūnas Gutkovas <ramunasg at gmail.com> wrote:
> My take is to write general DSL (something like DTD, but bit more powerfull with
> types) for this that whould generate classes which object fields whould be maped
> to object instance variables. This way I could have protocol objects as native
> Smalltalk objects.

so, basically, you intend to implement an XML data binding for your
protocol, to have the protocol available in the more convenient form
of Smalltalk objects, right? That's reasonable and frequently done.

A word about DTDs: those are pretty outdated; DTDs have essentially
been replaced by XSchema definitions. XSchema is far more convenient.

> But I am not shore if this is the best solution. Maybe there is one (by googling
> I didn't find anything)? Or how a real smalltalker whould tackle this?

As I said, establishing an XML data binding is a reasonable approach.
In Squeak, you can use the YAXO package to have an XML parser.

Hope this helps,

Michael