Clean way to process XML

Ramūnas Gutkovas ramunasg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 22:42:30 UTC 2006

Michael Haupt <mhaupt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> so, basically, you intend to implement an XML data binding for your
> protocol, to have the protocol available in the more convenient form
> of Smalltalk objects, right? That's reasonable and frequently done.

Yes. Sorry not being clear, my english is a bit rusty :)

> A word about DTDs: those are pretty outdated; DTDs have essentially
> been replaced by XSchema definitions. XSchema is far more convenient.

The protocol is given by a set of DTD's. I don't know about convinience all of
XML is quite painfull (and it was made to be simple, the irony) ;)

> As I said, establishing an XML data binding is a reasonable approach.
> In Squeak, you can use the YAXO package to have an XML parser.

Yes I am already using YAXO, I have implemented WBXML as SAXDriver for it. But
working on a raw DOM tree is not convinient at all.

Other day I was looking at Magritte I think it could suit the task. Declarative
model with types, validation, automatic accessor generation etc. - very nice.
All I have to do is to write DOM -> Magritte -> DOM. Oh, well back to work :)

> Hope this helps,

All the help is appreciated!