Squeak and Namespaces

Howard Stearns hstearns at wisc.edu
Wed Nov 29 15:32:41 UTC 2006

There's a heuristic that says incremental wins are good, but there are
cases that don't apply. ("The world is better off without Saddam Hussein
in power, no?") How do we know that this isn't leading the kind of "half
a loaf" (non-)solution that I tend to worry about?

Guy Steele once told me that the first thing he tries to get right about
a language is the namespace. "Get that wrong and you'll never recover."

I like Andreas' way of comparing what the proposal does to the cost of
programmer changes. Determining whether his analysis is correct depends,
I think, on what the proposal is actually doing, no?  I think it's
possible to implement it in such a way that changes scale appropriately,
but it is not yet clear to me that the code actually does things that way.
-Howard

Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Division of Information Technology