Squeak and Namespaces

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:30:53 UTC 2006

Well I haven't looked at the implimentation details, no.  But what will be
the result is pretty obvious:  Right now you have a global namespace for all
classes in your image.  After the change you will have the same but instead
of MCDictionary or something it will be Monticello::Dictionary.  In other
words, the end result is just that the identifiers get longer and part of it
is implicit (i.e. you don't have to type it out usually).

The problem comes if we determine there is a much better way to do this.  We
can't just pull the namespaces out because then you will have 30 classes
named "Dictionary" and so on.  You will have to either touch them all or run
some script that appends the namespace on the front of the class and then
pull namespaces out.  I don't see either of these as doable, so I would
expect that once namespaces are in as default for a couple of years that is
what we are going to have from now on.

p.s. Does it get the namespace from the category?  If not, then that might
be something to think about. :)