Squeak and Namespaces

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Wed Nov 29 19:24:39 UTC 2006

For me the key question is what do we ***really gain *** vs the cost?
What is the difference between each of us
systematically using a prefix? Really I do not see. Because to avoid
conflict SD:: should be reserved to me exactly as before.
Ok cool we will have a tool that will not show SD::. Do we want the
complexity of having nested namespace/import.../

I'm not sure. Now do we want to have import per package and a scope
per package. I do not know.

I think that simplicity is nice. When VW introduced namespaces we
talked a lot and thought a lot of what they would
bring. I'm still really perplex by the introduced complexity vs the
gain.

The key questions I'm trying to understand after all these years
looking at module system/namespaces/... is how
do they help in achieving scalability. Do we need selector namespace?
Also where do we put import is crucial: do we want to have more Unit
like parametrized modules by having a bind outside the module or is
the import declared inside the using package?

I discussed once with the schemers and they told me that in fact they
had problems with their model and they had to modify it (but never
publish the problems they got). They discovered that but only by
building complex app and having to change them.