Squeak and Namespaces

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 23:07:24 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:

> Motivation for syntax: we say SmallInteger and LargeInteger to subclasses
> of Integer and obviously prefer the opposite direction for a namespace
> hierarchy. Let's replace the suggested :: by a legitimate binary message
>
>   Morphic >~ View
>   Tweak >~ View
>   System >~ Default >~ Compiler
>   My >~ Terrific >~ Compiler

Implementing Namespaces like this would mean that your code runs slower. In
order to refer to a class, you'll need to send a message to a Namespace
every time you refer to it, rather than just refer to the class directly.

Also, your message names are capitalised, which will have a negative affect
on your karma.

Michael.