Squeak and Namespaces

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Nov 30 12:59:46 UTC 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 9:45 , Göran Krampe wrote:

>> For
>> a company, a quick stop gap is very needed because you have to
>> deliver a
>> product in a specific time frame.  But squeak isn't under such
>> constraints,
>> so I don't personally see a rush to put something in the image for
>> this.
>
> Hehe, rush? Are you aware of when I wrote this? Are you aware of
> how many
> posts I have written about it? Are you aware of how awfully many
> times the
> question of Namespaces have come up on the list? It is one of the
> "deadly
> subjects" always causing an explosion of subjective views and
> always end
> in nada.

Indeed, which is why I am inclined to say "Put up, or shut up". Göran
has a simple understandable implementation that people could at least
try to see how it feels. Then there is Andreas' namespaces in Tweak,
which are very similar to Göran's IIUC, but are not hooked up to any
UI yet. Dan/Henrik had a complex implementation that people tried
hard to understand or even use, so it was abandoned (although the
#environment hooks are still tehre for further experiments). I don't
think I saw another concrete proposal in code form.

- Bert -