Squeak and Namespaces

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 22:23:29 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2006, at 9:45 , Göran Krampe wrote:
>
> >> For
> >> a company, a quick stop gap is very needed because you have to
> >> deliver a
> >> product in a specific time frame.  But squeak isn't under such
> >> constraints,
> >> so I don't personally see a rush to put something in the image for
> >> this.
> >
> > Hehe, rush? Are you aware of when I wrote this? Are you aware of
> > how many
> > posts I have written about it? Are you aware of how awfully many
> > times the
> > question of Namespaces have come up on the list? It is one of the
> > "deadly
> > subjects" always causing an explosion of subjective views and
> > always end
> > in nada.
>
> Indeed, which is why I am inclined to say "Put up, or shut up". Göran
> has a simple understandable implementation that people could at least
> try to see how it feels. Then there is Andreas' namespaces in Tweak,
> which are very similar to Göran's IIUC, but are not hooked up to any
> UI yet. Dan/Henrik had a complex implementation that people tried
> hard to understand or even use, so it was abandoned (although the
> #environment hooks are still tehre for further experiments). I don't
> think I saw another concrete proposal in code form.

Is that Henrik Gedenryd from Squeak 3.3?

>From Google:

*I copied this important information on a new swiki page with the title
*>* 'Name spaces':
*>*
*>* http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2221
*>*
*>* This page can be accessed from
*>* 'Modules: Design Principles'
*>* http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2044
*>*
*>* which in turn is accessed from the 'Modules' page
*>*
*>* http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2042*

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/734

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/727

And here's the start of the 2004 Namespace thread :-)
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-April/076817.html

Is there a document about Andrea's implementation on the web somewhere?

Michael.