Squeak on the Nokia 770 (touches on old iamges, Morphic, SM, wxWidgets, and more!)

Gerald Leeb smalltalk at g-24.net
Thu Oct 5 12:17:13 UTC 2006

IMHO the performance of the 770 is not very well at all and so Squeak
itself is sometimes a little bit slow.

Starting the VM with the latest image 3.9 #7061 takes about 10 - 15
seconds. My 770 has 64 MB built in and a 2 GB media card. The image,
changeset, and source files located on the media card, and the vm is
located in the built in memory.

The VM was build with Onne's patch (http://tech.inhelsinki.nl/
2006-08-29/).
works fine:
- starting squeak with shell command
- pen support
- hardware-keys: cursor up/down/left/right, cr (enter) and escape
- network (WiFi and Bluetooth modem) but must be connected before the
vm is launched.

don't work / is missing:
- Squeak launcher with file (image) chooser which will integrate
itself in the Hildon UI.
- audio in/out support
- some hardware keys: menu, home, fullscreen, zoom in/out
- built-in virtual keyboard support

Starting the VM with a shrinked 3.4 #5170 image (1.5 MB image, 21 kB
changeset, 13 MB source file) but MVC only starts in less the 1/2
second and responds very good.

@Stef: Are there any special benchmark you are interested in? If yes,
please send me the code an I will run it for you.

Actually I don't know how to act with a pen only (no 3 button mouse)
and with no virtual keyboard yet - can anyone give me a hint?

Gerald.