Squeak on the Nokia 770 (touches on old iamges, Morphic, SM, wxWidgets, and more!)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Oct 5 16:08:11 UTC 2006

On 5-Oct-06, at 5:17 AM, Gerald Leeb wrote:

> IMHO the performance of the 770 is not very well at all and so
> Squeak itself is sometimes a little bit slow.

Well we have to remember that the cpu in the nokia is running at
about 200-ish MHz, has a whole 32Kb (or thereabouts) cache, no
floating point hardware and a 32 bit fairly slow memory bus. If
you're lucky it will run Squeak at about 5% the performance of a
typical modern desktop machine. Graphics will tend to be relatively
worse since the memory bandwidth really bites you.

Nonetheless, actual raw Smalltalk performance is pretty good and the
UI slowness is down to far too much code running to do the job. If
you try an older image that has a functional MVC system you might
well find the apparent UI performance very reasonable. On my very
old, similarly powered Acorn RPC any morphic menu takes a couple of
seconds to appear. In MVC, menus are perceptually instant.

Mind you, even on my current dual core 2GHz G5 PowerMac morphic and
tweak menus sometimes seem to take forever. I take that as a hint
that some work is needed in the graphics/UI classes.

tim
Useful random insult:- She's a screensaver:  Looks good, but useless.