Common Smalltalk VM Summit

David Griswold David.Griswold at acm.org
Fri Oct 6 18:18:27 UTC 2006

A lot of this confusion isn't your fault, it's the fault of the unfortunate
choice of term "type-feedback," which is historical.  It is really "class"
or "implementation type" feedback, and it is a mechanism *inside* the
Strongtalk VM that dynamically tracks what instance classes occur at each
send site, to learn how to inline and optimize those sends.

The Strongtalk "type system" is a *completely* unrelated subsystem, that
runs outside the VM in Smalltalk.  Strongtalk types are not implementation
or class types, but pure interface types, that have nothing to do with
classes, so they are not useful for optimization.  They are used purely to
check the code and make it more structured and understandable, and are based
on static analysis, not dynamic analysis.

So Strongtalk has two, unrelated features: a dynamic type(class)-feedback
VM, and a Smalltalk static type(interface)-checker.
-Dave