Real closures

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 7 12:21:04 UTC 2006

From: Jecel Assumpcao Jr
>Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 2:10 PM
>
>A more radical change to the Squeak VM was Anthony Hannan's VI4 work,
>which gave us better performance and real closures. But though his new
>bytecodes were cleaner, my impression is that he felt the gain wasn't
>enough to justify losing the historical connection to the "blue book"
>design.

So what happened with this?  I have seen several references in this list
(this is the first one I found) of someone making a good closure
implimentation and it getting rejected.  Why are they getting rejected?  I
think real completel closures are a requirement for any modern language.
Even Java and C++ (!!!) will have then within a few years.