History and thoughts about "how" we work on the image together

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Sun Oct 8 10:04:48 UTC 2006

Hi!

Benoit St-Jean <bstjean at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I know that people bitch and moan about Mantis but
> > all I can say is that
[SNIP]
> Personally, I think using a bug tracker is a "MUST"
> when you're dealing with so much
> code/packages/environments/projects...  It gives you
> history and traceability among other things (plus easy
> reporting, tracking, etc.)

I never said otherwise. I was talking about the easiness of the
contribution. I am even writing an issue tracker for gods sake. ;)

> Regarding release 3.9 (I came back to Squeak after a
> long pause), what bugs me the most is the fact that a
> lot of packages don't load properly (or don't load at
> all!) in 3.9.  I've always thought not loading your
> code into a clean image prior to releasing is a
> capital sin.

Eh... if you are talking about the 666 packages on SM - the release team
has nothing to do with the external packages - that is up to the
maintainers to move forward.

> Yes, some would say it's easy to whine and complain
> but I think we can definitely improve the process and
> the user experience with a little more effort here...
> like trying to load your packages into a clean
> image...

Again, this has not been the task for the release team. We could of
course change that - but I don't think that is reasonable.

regards, Göran