Everything is a distributed object

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Sun Oct 8 17:57:50 UTC 2006

You can certainly design a protocol between your server and client that is
better than raw X11 or raw SQLNet.  As you point out that will require you
deploy an application to each client.  Something like web start is a good
way to manage that deployment.

As you pointed out the use of X11 to a remote machine is not satisfactory,
while locally it is fine.  This is one quality of service difference between
local and remote access you can not ignore.  At a fine-grained programming
level things get far worse then flicker very quickly.  X11 is relatively
efficient and was originally designed to function in that situation.  This
is not to say remote objects do not work, just that you need to design your
application so you know when you are incurring the delays and potential
failures of a remote connection.

Michael