Bleeding edge (was Re: History and thoughts about "how" we work on the image)

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 9 19:34:26 UTC 2006

>From: stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at gmail.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: History and thoughts about "how" we work on the image together
>Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 13:47:51 +0200
>
>>Consider if we just set such a thing up and let developers "go wild".
>>The maintainers of each separate piece could then track this thing and
>>"shout" if they saw something go astray. Or simply roll back or "fix"
>>changes that missed the mark. And they could then take "sanctioned"
>>snapshots of their each package and put that in a repo.

I missed this email originally it looks like.  But what if every MC
repository had two branches.  One for "bleeding edge" type things where
anyone from the comunity can write their changes, and a "production line"
repository where the package maintainer could publish what he liked from the
submissions to make the stable branch.  Then the squeak map concept could be
changed to just look in these places for the packages (or at least it could
be an option).

I don't know what package maintainers are/were in the current/previous
system, but in most OSS projects of any size they wind up being people who
mostly merge changes of others (and run the test suite against it, etc.,
etc.) AFAIK.

And taking a concept like this even further, change systems like DVS usually
have a way to maintain multiple branches at the same time (i.e. gcc 3.*
still maintained while 4.* is being worked on and even released).  Perhaps
if the back end repository where some kind of seaside application, as
opposed to a file system, then we could automatically have such branching.
Someone checks in a new version for 4.* and the system just creates a new
section for it.  And the maintainer has some kind of switch to say in what
branch to look for the official release, so that squeakmap and friends know
where to look.

Just a thought.  Don't know if it's possible, reasonable or desirable. :)