Scamper Re: [ANN] Working SSL In Squeak

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Tue Oct 10 03:10:02 UTC 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> As far as I know Scamper parses HTML just fine.  If you think not,
> maybe lobby to get Scamper using your parser?  What is better about
> it?

It understands CSS.
It understands DOCTYPEs
It understands W3C DOCTYPE definitions for the various HTML/
XHTMLstandards and can use them to guess about and recover from
malformed HTML.  It can download new DOCTYPES and use them. This
makes it somewhat future proof.

It has support for more modern tags like DIV and SPAN (missing in
Scamper).

The only thing it is missing to be on par with modern browser like
Firefox is Javascript support - which could be added either via a
SpiderMonkey plugin, or a native JS interpreter, and plugin support.

HTML has changed a lot in the last few years and I don't think
Scamper has kept up, which is why I started from scratch when I wrote
the parser used to do http://badpage.net.  I did look at what was
available first.

-Todd Blanchard