3.9-7061 showstopper bug - Mantis #5231

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Oct 13 07:21:27 UTC 2006

On 13.10.2006, at 01:38, tim Rowledge wrote:

> I consider this to be a showstopper:-
>
> open a workspace
> type in some random stuff
> add a line
> 	'3+4'
> and print it on the '3+4'
> Now use menu->changes->recent log file... to see what got put in
> the changes log.
>
> Whoops! Everything in the workspace up to the code printit'd is
> logged.
> If you put some evaluable in the middle of the workspace and
> printit, again you get everything up to the printit.
>
> We can't let this go out for general use - it will fill the changes
> log much faster than anyone could ever expect and would completely
> break the logic of recovering your state by executing the recent
> changes file since many things would get repeated repeatedly. Not
> to mention, the entire text in the recovered file up to the chunk
> being evaluated would get logged *again*.

This does not seem to be 3.9 specific, as there was a fix for that in
squeakland...
I did not merge 3 of 150 changesets, and this is one of those:

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3331

Change Set: twoFixes-sw
Date: 12 November 2005
Author: Scott Wallace

Fixes the bug that logged the entire contents of a text pane up
through the end of the current selection, rather than only the
current selection, when logging a do-it to the changes.

------

If this is in 3.8, too, then by definition it is not a show stopping
bug. (As the show was not stopped with 3.8). So this would need to be
checked.

      Marcus