Serious Squeak (other "survey")

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 09:42:18 UTC 2006

I would like to get a comlete reorganization of the menu because this
is totally inefficient....
Such as open not the top item of the world menu.

> I would like to know your opinion about this.
>
> Squeak/Smalltalk is powerful, but for users, or developers in other
> environments (VB, C, Java etc..), looks like a toy. No games on it, No
> "famous" app's. All, etoys for kids and a mouse as logo. I think the
> squeak "world" needs changes, remove pinks colors in the image, and a
> large etc...

Agree.
Have you checked the developers image?

> Oficial web need's a change, more modern (smalltalk.org too, looks
> like an abandoned project, and the news about the projects are old) ),

www.squeak.org is much better than what it was used to be.
Smalltalk.org is not a public web site.

> writen in smalltalk. About the logo, I sugggest one time, would be
> interesting thath Squeak take a logo like squeakfoundation.

:)
Tx I did it :)
May be we could use this logo for the dev image.
Now the official Smalltalk logo is [|] so the squeakfoundation one is
cool.

> More developers means (not always but...) more packages, more tools,
> more code, more ideas. And I think we need change some things to get
> this.
>
> ¿What do you think about this? ¿How can I/we help with all of this?

to prepare changes it would be good to have more tests, make a list
of problems
clearly identify and propose some solution.
For example fixing the menu orders and items would be good.

> I'm sure I'm not the only one with this things in her mind.

Indeed we are in sync.

Stef