Serious Squeak (other "survey")

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 15 06:34:04 UTC 2006

>From: stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at gmail.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")
>Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:59:36 +0200
>
>>This may get me in trouble, but I will make a bold claim:
>>
>>Squeak is a toy. That is a good thing.
>
>Come on exploration and dynamism is not equal to toy.
>Squeak is a dynamic environment but this is not a toy.
>The fact that you interact easily with the objects that populate it
>does nto mean that this is a toy.

Yea, I agree with Alan here.  Instrument is a much better word.  A toy is
something that is *only* for playing.  It can't do anything serious or
useful, ever.

>>- You need complicated software to develop software
>>- You need to go through the university system to be a
>>   programmer
>
>Why not, if you can get a nice teacher teaching what you want to learn.
>I would pay to get the teachers that can teach me what I want to learn.

Yes.  And universities are good because they have the best free labor in
existance.  Not only is the labor free, but the work is done by a pretty
smart (and possibly brilliant) person. :)