Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Oct 15 13:46:23 UTC 2006

Edgar,

=============================
Well, I could try to help in resurrect Zurgle (maybe only need a try on
3.9,
don't know), only for see how many Squeakers wish this, and as tribute
Jim Benson.

And as you have experience, could be nice if send some little list of
shortcomings and strong points to focus on.
=============================

I would be happy to contribute to a formal effort that has some buy-in
from the appropriate gurus, such that it will be used once it works and
meets the non-interference constraints they will want.  I agree with
most of Andreas' complaints about Zurgle, but echo Bert's rebuttal that
Zurgle is, or should be, about building a framework, not about shoving a
winxp (IMHO the ugliest thing MS has done to date) look down mac and
*nix users' throats.

Please note that I am not the only person saying that the feel of Squeak
is far more of a problem than its look, especially given 3.9's very
slick "non-client" widgets, which (amplifying points made recently)
probably look more familiar to the average user than most of the GUIs of
Quick Time and MS' Media Player with default settings (perhaps the
nuttiest thing MS has done to date???<g>).

I suggest that we form a team for a new skinning project to pick the
best from Zurgle, Bob's UI, and the various skinning efforts.  The
default mode would not be skinned at all, but would be configurable with
blocks and/or subclassing, and should probably strive for a Squeak
version of the win98/2k era appearance, albeit a little simplified and
somewhat platform neutral.

In parallel with that, loading skins is an excellent idea, and should be
part of the framework from the ground up.  Having a code-only default
would allow Squeak to run w/o externally supplied art.

The framework should also provide optional cleanup for tabbing and
mouse-over behavior.  I am unclear on whether relevant settings should
be global or at the class or even instance/morphic extension level.  The
result should be able to serve a clerk who never wants to touch a mouse,
as well as bleeding edge Squeakers.  The latter camp would probably be
happy with a global setting or two, and that might be enough, depending
on the design.

Comments?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.