About new compiled method and others

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Oct 16 03:36:10 UTC 2006

On 15-Oct-06, at 2:44 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi tim
>
> What is your state of mind regarding the changes you are doing
> (which are great, needed and wished).

In a ideal world I think I would like the opportunity to insert these
changes *before* the stage where you condensed the sources; it would
allow the version history to continue for a while longer. What I'm
doing should allow 256Mb source/change files plus open the door for
more interesting ways of storing source. It would mean retreating to
beta for a month or so. I understand that we are not in an ideal world.

Obviously, changes to a basic facility like source access ought to
get some testing before general release so I guess the changes should
wait for the next release - preferably a near term release that
concentrates on cleanups and bug fixes and not making enormous
alterations.

> It seems to us that they should go in 3.10 alpha because we are
> late in the process.
> Do you have strong feelings about that?

Well, yes I do, but a lot of people are very tired and frazzled and
following my feelings about process would probably just melt people's
brains right now. I  most definitely wish I had had more time
available months ago to do anything helpful but I didn't and that's
just how it is. We must try to move onwards.

> Stef (you see I even try to use politically correct english for a
> european and french like me this is a real challenge)

I don't worry too much about 'politically correct' but I do hope we
can manage a reasonable level of politeness in general.

{Then again, that was the original intent of the foolishness that has
grown into political correctness. Let a few self-important academics
get hold of the idea, cook in a steamer of bureaucratic busybodying,
mix in some timid administrators and some annoying lawyers and pretty
soon "let's try not to stereotype people and avoid insulting
everyone" turns into an exercise in newspeak self-censorship. Sigh.}

tim
Mommy!  The cursor's winking at me!