A process proposal for 3.10

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 13:26:33 UTC 2006

2006/10/16, Giovanni Giorgi <jj at objectsroot.com>:
> Philippe,
>  Giovanni is working hard to give us a workflow.
> I think you are posing the problems in the wrong way.

I'm just saying Squeak is extremely limited on development resources.
There is a lot of great stuff that we could do if we had more
development resources but we have to work with what we have got.
Sometimes stuff just doesn't get maintained because the maintainer is
extremely busy.

Sure it would be cool if "someone" could do this.

Also all suggestions have to orient themselves on the reality. Sure it
would be great if we just could drop package X because it is not
maintained. But often this is not simple and requires some effort. How
should do this if there is not even a maintainer for it?

Sure it would be cool if "someone" could do this.

Forking Xf86 worked fine because there were a lot of development
resources. A lot of the original team (except the leader) could be
taken over. There was work from fd.o to integrate. And finally there
is commercial interest in X11. People are getting paid for developing
this kind of stuff.

> A package without mantainer is in a very sick state.

Agreed.

> If we want to continue developing in Squeak, we must find a solution
> together.

Agreed.

Philippe