[ANN] MessageCapture

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Mon Oct 16 19:16:31 UTC 2006

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am 16.10.2006 um 10:32 schrieb Michael van der Gulik:
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Croquet uses pretty normal
>> objects for what it does. Objects are grouped together, and inter-
>> group references are done using FarRef objects. I think it  completely
>> avoids the problem of capturing references - arguably a  more stable
>> approach than what I'm doing.
>>
>> Can anybody confirm this?
>

> In the current implementation, yes. An earlier version used many
> automagic tricks to work transparently. But Magic Is Hard To Debug
> (TM). So I think the plan is to do it with normal objects first, do
> everything explicitly, get it right, and when the system really  works,
> then you can add back the magic to make it easier to use. But  broken
> magic does more harm than good.

They're very smart. I've pushed along with broken magic for a couple of
years. Believe me - it would be much, much easier not using broken magic.

Currently I'm trying to debug an image which freezes at random
intervals. Alt-. is useless and I've already applied my alt-. improving
tweaks. I've inserted print statements everywhere - none of them get
printed. Broken magic is fun :-#.

Michael.