Morphic is to MVC as Traits are to Classes (was: Re: Removing Morphic)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Oct 19 05:45:39 UTC 2006

Colin Putney wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2006, at 9:31 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> although Nathanael solved the harder problem he also solved the less
>> interesting problem
>
> Ok, I'll bite. What was the easier but more interesting problem?

Composing objects (aspects) instead of namespaces. What we were really
looking for is some system-level representation for users combining
behaviors. If you've ever seen Director's drag and drop behaviors you
know what I mean. We want to be able to do the same, e.g., take a
behavior drop this onto an object and have the object do "something
sensible" with the behavior. The easier problem is indeed to say we'll
just take the behavior as an object in itself and simply expose a subset
of its interface to the container and then figure out how to interact
with it. The less interesting (but harder) problem that Nathanael solved
was how to take the entire interface and embed it into the container.

Cheers,
   - Andreas